From the KnowledgeBase
Princeton Gmail configuration settings for Thunderbird.The following instructions apply to Macintosh, Windows, and Unix versions of Thunderbird with a Princeton Gmail account.
If you have already installed Thunderbird, you can skip these instructions and proceed to New Account E-mail Configuration.
1. Download the most current version of Thunderbird from www.mozilla.org. Remember the location where you saved the downloadable executable. The easiest thing to do is save it to your Desktop when prompted.
2. Windows users should double-click the installer on the desktop to begin installation. Mac OS X users should double-click the Thunderbird.dmg and then drag the Thunderbird icon to the Applications folder.
3. During installation, accept all the defaults (you must accept the license agreement) and click Next when prompted at each screen.
4. If you are upgrading or migrating from another e-mail client, select
Import Everything when prompted; as in the image below. If you are
not prompted and you wish to import items from another e-mail client, click
on Tools menu and select Import.
5. Once installation is complete, you will be asked if you wish Thunderbird to be the default mail application. Check the box next to E-Mail and uncheck Always perform this check when starting Thunderbird.
New Account E-mail Configuration Instructions
1. To create a new profile, in the top bar, click on Tools and then Account Settings. Next, click the Account Actions button in the bottom left corner and then click on Add Mail Account...
2. In the Account Setup dialog box, enter your Full Name in the Your Name field, your Princeton e-mail address in the E-mail Address field and your Princeton password in the Password field. Place a check in the Remember password box then click Continue.
3. Thunderbird will attempt to automatically determine your e-mail settings. It will not be able to successfully find all of the necessary information regarding your Princeton Gmail account and will display the following window. Click on Manual Setup to continue configuring Thunderbird.
4. For the incoming server, enter imap.gmail.com into the Server hostname field. Under SSL, select SSL/TLS, and under Authentication choose Normal password.
For Outgoing: SMTP enter smtp.gmail.com for the Server hostname, set SSL to STARTTLS, and Authentication to Normal password.
Click on Re-Test to continue. Then, click on Create Account
To Manage folders
From the File pulldown menu select Subscribe and unsubscribe from these folders:
- Suggested Contacts
To map trash to deleted items in Thunderbird
- Make sure that the Deleted Items folder is Subscribed
- Go to Account Settings -->Server Settings -->When I delete a message -->Move it to this folder
- Select Deleted Items from the drop down window.
How to configure Thunderbird to search for Princeton e-mail addresses from the LDAP directory
- In Thunderbird, from the Tools menu, select Account Settings
- On the left, in the Categories window, select Composition and Addressing
- On the right, find the Addressing settings
Click Use a Different LDAP server so that Edit Directories...
- Click Edit Directories...
In the LDAP Directory Servers window, click Add
Within the Directory Server Properties window:
- In the name field type: Princeton University
- In the Hostname field type: ldap.princeton.edu
In the Base DN field type: o=Princeton University,c=US
- Click OK to close the Directory Server Properties window
- Click OK to close the LDAP Directory Server window
- You should be back at the Preferences window
In the Directory Server field, pull down to Princeton University so
that it is selected
- Click OK to close the Preferences window