From the KnowledgeBase

How can I change my e-mail address/I am unhappy with my Princeton netID?
How can I change my e-mail address/I am unhappy with my OIT netID?


There are two options.

1. Establish a personalized email address (also known as an alias address)

For information and a link to the request form, see: How can I get a personalized Princeton email address (aka alias address)?

2. Change your netID from the one you've been assigned

Your pre-assigned University netID is used by various University systems and services on your behalf. Once it has been established, any change to the netID can cause problems for you, and for various University offices, hence change is made only for the most compelling or urgent reasons.

With the advent of email alias addresses it is no longer necessary to change your netID (your netID can remain intact and you can request a more appropriate email address). If the netID that was assigned to you is inappropriate or offensive you may request a new netID; otherwise you should request an email alias.

Your request will be evaluated by OIT staff, and you will be contacted regarding the matter.

NOTE: Presently, the maximum netID size possible is eight characters, the minimum size possible is two characters, and must consist of alphabetic and numeric characters only.

Related Links:
Last Updated:
May 21, 2014

Solution ID: