From the KnowledgeBase
cPanel LAMP: Small-scale shared PHP/MySQL web environments
OIT provides to academic and departmental organizations a "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) service for web hosting.
Departmental cPanel LAMP service
The service is offered at no charge, and is appropriate for departments engaged in the business of the University. It is designed for small web applications that have low network bandwidth requirements and are not CPU-intensive. To qualify for this free service, hosted web applications must be able to coexist on a shared server with many other departmental web sites. Departments are responsible for their web design and development work. cPanel/dotNET services are primarily intended for Princeton faculty and staff.
cPanel offers the plug-in called Softaculous, which quickly installs open source software such as WordPress, Drupal, and over twenty other utilities and tools to enable web authoring and content management online.
cPanel LAMP service provides:
- A vanity address with the URL http://chosen-name.princeton.edu
- Both http and https (SSL) capability
- An official certificate for https (SSL) security installed for each account
- Availability of PHP, perl, and python languages
- MySQL databases
- A user-friendly MySQL database management web tool called phpMyAdmin
- Identical accounts on two identical servers used for application development/version testing, and production
- An optional account on a quality assurance (QA) server
- OIT systems administration for operating and web system software patches and security fixes
- Twice-weekly backups of file system and databases
- Web statistics gathering, with results viewable on the web
While OIT does not charge for cPanel LAMP service, the nature of the accounts requires the user to assume one possible cost -- an IP address that currently costs $11.50 per month unless the Department is exempt from hostname charges. Customers get 2GB of disk space for free and pay $.50 per GB per month for disk usage requested above that limit. For a detailed description of OIT's charging structure, see: Tigernet: Explanation of new network charging and elimination of billing.
If your department would like to request the cPanel LAMP service, please use the online request form. Any requirements for special software or other special needs will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For more information, send e-mail to Dave Herrington at email@example.com.
Personal cPanel service
Also available is the Personal cPanel service, which is primarily intended for students, student groups, and individual faculty and staff. The Personal cPanel service will provide the same services as the Departmental cPanel Service except for vanity addressing and a development environment. For more information, please see: Solution 1123.
- cPanel: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (Princeton login required)
- Web Publishing: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)