From the KnowledgeBase
Exchange e-mail: Configuration settings for Thunderbird
The following instructions apply to Macintosh, Windows, and Unix versions of Thunderbird with an Exchange enabled e-mail account.
1. Download the most current version of Thunderbird from www.mozilla.org. Remember the location where you saved the downloadable executable. The easiest thing to do is save it to your Desktop when prompted.
2. Windows users should double-click the installer on the desktop to begin installation. Mac OS X users should double-click the Thunderbird.dmg and then drag the Thunderbird icon to the Applications folder.
3. During installation, accept all the defaults (you must accept the license agreement) and click Next when prompted at each screen.
4. If you are upgrading or migrating from another e-mail client, select
Import Everything when prompted; as in the image below. If you are
not prompted and you wish to import items from another e-mail client, click
on Tools menu and select Import.
5. Once installation is complete, you will be asked if you wish Thunderbird to be the default mail application. Check the box next to E-Mail and un-check Always perform this check when starting Thunderbird.
New Account E-mail Configuration Instructions
1. To create a new profile, choose Create a new account. The Mail Account Setup Wizard will begin.
3. In the Account Setup dialog box, enter your Full Name in the Your Name: field, your Princeton e-mail address in the Email Address: field and your Princeton password in the Password field. Place a check in the Remember password box then click Continue.
4. Thunderbird will attempt to automatically determine your e-mail settings. It will not be able to successfully find all of the necessary information regarding your Princeton Exchange account and will display the following window. Click on Manual Setup to continue configuring Thunderbird.
5. Enter exchangeimap.princeton.edu into the Server Name field. Ensure that under the security settings section Connection security is set to SSL/TLS. The resulting server settings should match the following image.
6. In the left hand frame of the Account Settings window, click on Outgoing
7. On the right hand section of this window, select the listing for smtp.princeton.edu and click Edit
8. Ensure that under the security and authentication section, ensure that Connection security is set to STARTTLS. The resulting SMTP server settings should match the following image.
9. Click OK to close the SMTP settings and account settings windows. Thunderbird is now configured for your Princeton Exchange account.
To Manage folders
From the File pulldown menu select Subscribe and unsubscribe from these folders:
- Suggested Contacts
To map trash to deleted items in Thunderbird
- Make sure that the Deleted Items folder is Subscribed
- Go to Account Settings -->Server Settings -->When I delete a message -->Move it to this folder
- Select Deleted Items from the drop down window.
How to configure Thunderbird to search for Princeton e-mail addresses from the LDAP directory
- In Thunderbird, from the Tools menu, select Account Settings
- On the left, in the Categories window, select Composition and Addressing
- On the right, find the Addressing settings
Click Use a Different LDAP server so that Edit Directories...
- Click Edit Directories...
In the LDAP Directory Servers window, click Add
Within the Directory Server Properties window:
- In the name field type: Princeton University
- In the Hostname field type: ldap.princeton.edu
In the Base DN field type: o=Princeton University,c=US
- Click OK to close the Directory Server Properties window
- Click OK to close the LDAP Directory Server window
- You should be back at the Preferences window
In the Directory Server field, pull down to Princeton University so
that it is selected
- Click OK to close the Preferences window