From the KnowledgeBase
Virtual Private Networking (VPN) can be used to access Princeton-specific resources from off-campus. For full details regarding VPN and configuration settings instructions for other operating systems, see Virtual Private Networking (VPN): Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Many Princeton configured computers already have a VPN connection configured on the desktop. Look first on your desktop for a Princeton VPN icon to see if VPN has already been configured for you.
To make a VPN connection to Princeton University using Windows
the steps below:
In the System Tray of the computer, at the lower right-hand corner of
screen, locate the Network icon. It looks like this:
- Right-click on the Network icon and select Network
- In the Network and Sharing Center
select Set up a connection or
- Choose Connect to a Workplace and
- Choose Use my Internet connection (VPN)
- Enter vpn.princeton.edu for the Internet
Address and Princeton
VPN for the Destination name as shown
Select the box for Don't connect now....
If this machine will have multiple users logging in, check the box Allow other people to use this connection. When selecting this option, you may be prompted for administrator credentials or if already logged in with admin rights, you will be prompted to allow the action. Recommendation: Do not select the option to allow other people to use this connection if you are the only person using the computer.
- In the next window enter your NetID
in the User name
PRINCETON in the Domain field and select Create. Recommendation: Do not save your password with the connection.
- Click Close in the next window.
- Right-click on the Network system tray icon and select Connect
- In the Connect to a network window,
locate the Princeton VPN connection
you have just created. Right-click on the connection and select
- In the Princeton VPN Properties window,
go to the Networking
tab. Uncheck the option for Internet
Protocol Version 6
(TCP/IPv6) and click OK. Note: Princeton
does not currently support IPv6.
- If you are attempting to connect via Remote Desktop to a
located at 701 Carnegie, additional VPN configuration steps may be
Please see Solution
- To connect using Princeton VPN, double-click on the
- A Connect Princeton VPN window will
appear. Your netID will be in
the User name field. Enter your
password in the Password field and click
- Upon successful connection the following window should
appear. You can click
Close to remove the window from your desktop.
This will not close
the VPN connection
- To connect each time you log onto your computer,
Right-click on the Network
system tray icon, click Connect to a network, and
the Princeton VPN connection.