From the KnowledgeBase
I have left Princeton University or I am currently affiliated with the University but ineligible for the University licensed McAfee VirusScan software. What software can I install to make sure my computer is protected from virus and malware threats?
When looking for a reliable antivirus product for your computer, there are several things to consider.
- Antivirus software as part of your home Internet subscription package
- Purchase a retail antivirus software package to install on your computer
- Install free antivirus software on your computer
Antivirus software as part of your ISP subscription
Many Internet service providers will provide their customers with free or discounted antivirus software. Examples of Internet service providers who provide an antivirus solution include:
- Comcast - Provides free Constant Guard™ Protection Suite to all subscribers of their Internet service
- Verizon FiOS/DSL - Provides Verizon Internet Security Suite at a discounted rate for subscribers
- Cablevision Optimum Online - Provides a free Internet Security Package to all subscribers of their Internet service
- AOL - Provides McAfee VirusScan Plus or McAfee Internet Security Suite to all subscribers of their Internet service
- Time Warner Roadrunner - Provides CA Internet Security Suite to all subscribers of their Internet service
- AT&T DSL - Provides AT&T Internet Security Suite to all subscribers to their service
If your Internet Service Provider is not listed above, you should review your ISP's website or contact them directly to learn about their antivirus software offerings.
Purchase antivirus software
If your intend to purchase a retail antivirus software package, here are links to the websites of several of the major retail antivirus offerings available for retail purchase:
Free antivirus software
If you plan on installing a free antivirus software package on your computer, here are links to several of the major reputable offerings in this category. Free antivirus software has fewer features than commercial antivirus software, but does provide a minimum amount of protection and is acceptable if you don't want to purchase a commercial antivirus software package. For a review of the free antivirus options, see About Free Antivirus Software.
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition
- Avast Antivirus
- AVG Antivirus
- ClamAV Antivirus
If you need assistance choosing an antivirus software solution that will work for your computer, please contact the Help Desk at 8-HELP for further assistance.