From the KnowledgeBase
Personal cPanel: Small-scale shared LAMP web environment for individual students, faculty and staff.
Individual faculty, staff and students can run their own web-based applications on a personalized web site using a Personal cPanel account, which provides a range of "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) options.
New! Personal cPanel now offers the plug-in called Softaculous, which quickly installs open source software such as WordPress, Drupal, and over twenty other utilities and tools to enable web authoring and content management online.
Personal cPanel service
This service is offered at no charge, and is appropriate for faculty, staff and students for personal and non-commercial uses, such as student organizations or class assignments. It is designed for small web applications that have low network bandwidth requirements and are not CPU-intensive. To qualify for this free service, hosted web applications must be able to coexist on a shared server with other websites. Site owners are responsible for their own web design and development work.
Personal cPanel service provides:
- A personal address with the URL http://netID.mycpanel.princeton.edu
- Both http and https (SSL) capability
- An official certificate for https (SSL) security installed for each account
- Availability of PHP, perl, and python languages
- MySQL databases
- A user-friendly MySQL database management web tool called phpMyAdmin
- Use of this netID's allocated or purchased disk space on the University's Central File Server
- OIT systems administration for operating and web system software patches and security fixes
- Twice-weekly backups of file system and databases
- Web statistics gathering, with results viewable on the web
If you would like to request a Personal cPanel account, please use the Online Request Form (University login required). Note that requests for Personal cPanel for DCU or service accounts are subject to sponsor approval. You must log in to the form using the netID for which you are requesting service; you may not log in with one netID to request service for a different netID.
Instructions and Documentation
For more information, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Show My Sites online utility (Princeton login required)
- Departmental cPanel information
- Web Publishing at Princeton