From the KnowledgeBase
How can I activate an ethernet port in my office?
To have a new Ethernet port/line installed in your office (or have an existing port activated) contact the OIT Help Desk with the required information and the Help Desk will submit an OPM ticket to Hardware Support for you.
Information required of the Help Desk to transfer a ticket to HWS includes:
- NAME OF CONTACT
- PHONE NUMBER OF CONTACT
- ADDRESS OF CONTACT
- HARDWARE SPECIFICS: (for example: Gateway 2000: Keyboard repair or Apple iBook: upgrade RAM from 128MB to 256MB)
- WORK REQUESTED: (for example: "I would like to have OIT install 256MB of RAM in my computer.")
- DEPARTMENTAL CHARGE NUMBER: mandatory information
The following information is also extremely helpful:
- The wallbox number to which the systems will be connected (it's printed on the wallbox)
- The exact location of the new connection, including building name and room number
In general, there is no charge to install a new ethernet connection, but you may be charged a monthly usage charge. Be advised that if an OIT data cable/wall box does not currently existing in the location you desire, HWS may need to charge T&M for installation of a new cable. Inquires can be made as to whether charges apply and an estimated cost can be provided by request.
Current networking charges information can be found