From the KnowledgeBase
Network printing: How do I print to a departmental printer using a Windows computer?
OIT offers two servers to provide network print "queues" for printers that are to be shared across the network for multiple users in a department or office. Use the instructions below to determine if there is a networked printer in your office, and how to add that printer to your computer so that you can print to it. Students should see: How to print to a cluster.
Look at the list of networked printers which shows the many printers already online across campus. Most probably there is one very close to where you are sitting. Find the printer that suits your needs based upon location or availability of color options. To find a specific printer you can:
- Click on any column heading to sort, such as the column heading Location -- you can then scroll through the list of printers to find the one you want.
- You can also use the Filter Criteria drop-down box and the Search field at the top of the page to narrow the number of printers listed on the pageFor example, select Location from the drop-down box, type your building name or street address, and click the Submit button.
- Use the Ctrl + F command on your keyboard to search the page for your building name or street address so you can see the printers available to you.
Once you have located your desired printer, click on its Queue Name. Within the printer detail page, copy the text listed for Network Path. This is the information that you need. For example: \\ntprintserver.princeton.edu\701_201_bw.
Add the printer to your computer using the full name of the printer, or the Network Path. If you are not logged into the Princeton domain, you will be prompted for your Princeton University netID and passsword; you may need to type your netID as PRINCETON\netID
In Windows 7, click on the Start button and type (or paste from the website) the Network Path of the printer into the Start Search field: and click the Enter key:
- Windows will now connect to and install your printer. Your computer may prompt you to accept driver installation.
- If it does, click Yes to allow the installation to continue.Once the printer has completed installation on your computer, a window will display showing you the print queue for the new printer you have added.
- If you wish to make this the default printer for your computer, click on Printer from the menu at the top of this window and choose Set as Default Printer