From the KnowledgeBase
There are several simple ways to determine the hostname and/or IP address of your computer.
To find the hostname of your computer if you are on campus
The Princeton Host Database will show you the hostname of your computer in the Name field at the top:
What is the hostname and IP address of my computer?
Windows computers - alternate method
- Log into your Windows domain computer
- Right-click on My Computer from the Start menu
- From the menu that appears, select Properties
- The hostname should appear next to Computer Name
Macintosh OS X computers - alternate method
- Go to the Apple Menu in the top left corner of your screen and select System Preferences
- Go into the Network pane of System Preferences by clicking on the Network icon
- Click on the AppleTalk tab to see your computer name
- Please note that this will only match your machine's hostname if you made this change when registering the computer on campus
To find your IP
Open a web browser and go to the www.whatismyip.org web site. If available, domain membership will also be shown.