From the KnowledgeBase
Below please find introductory policy and procedure information regarding Princeton University's Guest Account Provisioning (GAP) service.
With an online tool, you can request and sponsor a Princeton University "guest account" for a person not directly affiliated with the University, to allow the person access to a specific Web-based application over which you have authority.
- General Questions
- Help and Instructions for Guest Account Sponsors
- Help and Instructions for Guest Accounts
- Help for Application Developers
What can someone
with a guest account do?
A guest account allows a person not directly affiliated with the University the ability to authenticate to a specific web-based resource at Princeton. Such a resource can be a SharePoint or Roxen site or any other Web service that uses Princeton authentication services to authorize access.
Guest accounts do not provide general access to Princeton University IT services, only to the specific Web application(s) for which authorization has been given.
Who can sponsor
a guest account?
Only Princeton University faculty and staff may sponsor a guest account. Note: University generic or service NetIDs may not be provided as the identity of a sponsor: the faculty or staff member must specify his or her own individual ID.
Who can be a
Any person that does not have use of a Princeton University account (including departmental computer user account) but does have an e-mail address elsewhere may be given a guest account for a specific Web-based application. The guest account is extended when the Princeton sponsor feels participation by the outside guest is necessary for success of a University mission.
How do I obtain
a guest account for a non-Princeton person?
A guest account is requested by the sponsor. The sponsor must be a member of the faculty or staff of Princeton University. Use the steps below to create a guest account.
- Click the "Add Guest Account" button.
- Enter the e-mail address of the prospective guest and select an expiration date for the account. Guest accounts can be activated for up to one year. The guest's e-mail address ordinarily will become the Princeton University guest account netID. (If there is a conflict with an existing ID, a message will ask that a different e-mail address be provided.)
- E-mail is sent on behalf of the sponsor to the prospective guest, indicating that a guest account has been created. The guest has seven days to activate the account by completing the guest account registration form.
- The prospective guest navigates to the guest account link included in their e-mail and completes the guest account registration form (including setting a log-in password).
- Once the registration form is submitted, the guest account is activated. The sponsor is sent e-mail stating that the guest account is active. The guest account can then be used to authenticate to the specific Web-based application at Princeton. NOTE: Additional permissions (authorization) may need to be given to resources (such as SharePoint or Roxen) before the guest can access the resource. The sponsor will need to take steps appropriate to the resource to gain that access; please see the individual service website for specific instruction.
How many guest
accounts can I create?
A sponsor can sponsor a total of 25 guests.
I'm leaving the
University and have sponsored guest accounts. What happens
to them when I leave?
Guest accounts are active only so long as they are associated with a valid sponsor. When a sponsor leaves the university and the sponsor's own account is disabled, all accounts associated with that sponsor are disabled as well. The sponsor can contact the OIT Help Desk at 258-HELP(4357) and request that the guest accounts be transferred to another faculty or staff member who has agreed to be responsible for these guests. However, the Help Desk also will need confirmation from that party.
What is a
validation e-mail? I never got the validation e-mail.
When a guest account is created by a sponsor, the guest is sent email containing a validation code that is needed to complete the guest account registration form. Some Internet e-mail systems (notably Yahoo.com) may detect the e-mail as spam. Be sure to check your spam/junk mail folder before contacting the OIT Help Desk at 258-HELP(4357).
How do I get
access to SharePoint or Roxen?
If you have any questions regarding how to access a particular application, you should work with your sponsor. Your account sponsor needs to make provisions to grant you authorization to the resource(s) they want you to access. If you have any questions about who your sponsor is, you can find their information in the original e-mail notification of your guest account. You can also look up your sponsor at any time by navigating to the Guest Account MyInfo page.
I registered my
account, but I can't log in! Help!
There are several reasons why you may be having difficulty logging in to your guest account.
are not typing your guest account correctly.
A guest account is the same as your email address (ie: firstname.lastname@example.org). It is a common mistake to drop the text after the @. Guest accounts are in the same form as a valid e-mail address. This differentiates them from "regular" Princeton University NetIDs.
are not typing your password correctly.
If you've forgotten your password, you can reset your password. Go to the Guest Services page and request a reset code to change your password.
are not authorized to login to the site.
Some applications require additional permission (authorization) before they can be accessed. You will need to coordinate with your guest account sponsor to obtain the proper access to an application.